- RT @AdaColau: Thank you for the solidarity we have received from around the world. Barcelona is brave and united. Terror will never change… 2 days ago
- My heart goes with all the victims of today's attack in #Barcelona #staystrong #mycity https://t.co/7d6xp5512K 4 days ago
- RT @CarlotaPiAmoros: Ara i sempre #Barcelona. #Llibertat #Amor #Respecte. Si us plau, no difongueu imatges dels fets. 4 days ago
- @saketmehta_ @bjwilson34 @scovic @Chartboost @marialegre Welcome on board of @Chartboost! 4 days ago
- My thoughts are in Barcelona now. There are things about humans that I will never understand. #stop #terrorism 4 days ago
Thoughts by José Luis Agell
Good learnings from the crisis
March 16, 2009Posted by on
I don’t want to talk about downturns anymore, nor about unemployment statistics or about the Madoff’s case. It’s not that I have my head in the sand but I am tired about this negative buzz.
I think we all know how challenging the business environment is. Sadly, the media fails to highlight the good things that come out of recessions for individuals and entrepreneurs.
I am strongly convinced that good times create defects on our way of doing business and on our way of running business. Crises alter the status quo. An this is actually positive.
It is a good moment to work for innovation and to come up with new business models and sources of revenues. APIs, for instance, have become a new distribution channel for web-based services that now can be easily integrated by other developers on their websites or on their mash-ups.
It is a good moment to cut down unnecessary costs and work for more efficient ways of doing things. A good example for this is the virtualization technology. Internal resources are underutilized under the old “one server, one application” model, while using virtualization technologies companies can dramatically improve the efficiency and availability of their resources and applications.
What other benefits do you see in the crisis?
PS: Feel free to answer in whatever language you feel comfortable.